Monday, July 21, 2008

Movies, Bugs, Sunflower Seeds, and whatever else comes to mind

You know that feeling when you know you need to do something, yet can’t bring yourself to do it? Procrastination? Well, this blog is what I procrastinate about. Oh, and following up on emails. I’m terrible. I’m trying to get better. See, I’m sitting here writing rather than reading. And this takes a lot more effort, believe me. CCP (Cream City Photogs, for those not in the know check the link on the right) has a show this coming weekend, which to be honest, I’m feeling fairly ambivalent about. Not about everyone else’s work, just mine. Don’t get me wrong, the photos are fine. I think I picked well, but…there’s something missing, not quite right. I’m having a difficult time putting my finger on it. I get the same feeling when I look at photography magazines and books. I can never find what I’m looking for…not that it’s been defined. I can’t tell you the last photography article I’ve read. I just look at the images. There are two photo magazines that I do like; Lenswork & Doubletruck. What I would really like is the two combined. But, alas…
I think sometimes I worry too much about what other people think. I had this problem on flickr of making people contacts because they made me one. I must have 5 pages of contact requests in my mailbox. And I haven’t made them contacts, nor have I deleted them. They just sit there waiting for me. If I delete them I could be shutting the door on a very nice person. If I make them a contact I’m sure to be overwhelmed. Even the amount of contacts I have now (something just under 200) is too much. I comment on a handful of contacts and feel guilty about the rest. I just don’t have the time or desire to wade through everyone’s photos, good or not. I’m sure I’m missing tons of great stuff, and this may sound selfish, but my only concern is making my own great photographs and I’m a long way from great.
Anyway. Enough photography for now. I’m a ‘busy little bee’ ( first person to chime in with the character and movie that this is from gets a print of their choice) as of late. We have the show Friday night and K and I are having a BBQ on Sunday as a sort of house warming. This is the first time we actually have space to have people over. I also have to get prints framed for Photo Midwest. Oh yeah, and find a new printer. I’m not really happy with WHCC right now. Guess I’ll be trying Mpix. But I also heard about another place in Colorado that’s supposed to be good. I’ll keep you updated. What else… You know, you would think I would have a lot more time around here since we canceled cable. But with a new place there’s always something to do.
Jason, Randy, and I went and saw the new Indiana Jones film last night. We agreed it wasn’t the best nor was it the worst. I rank it 3rd. But that’s me. I would have rather seen The Dark Knight. But I think I’m going with K’s dad tomorrow night. The Indy film had too much CGI and was too, as Randy said, cartoonish. But I guess that’s what one should expect from a Lucas film nowadays. I was watching The Bourne Ultimatum, which I still need to finish watching tonight. I really like those films, all three. Say what you want about Matt Damon, but he’s perfect for these movies. I said last night, I found it humorous that all these people were going to see The Dark Knight. Most of them probably have never picked up a Batman comic in their life. But if it brings attention to the movie, all the better. Same with Iron Man, which I haven’t seen. Indy was my first summer movie. And I still want to see Hellboy 2 and I’d like to see Hancock, but that’s not high on the list.
Moving on. Ah hell… I want to finish watching Bourne and then read. I’ll talk about bugs and sunflower seeds tomorrow. And probably some more about photography, where I’m sure I’ll alienate more people.
I really like Cranes.

No comments:

Custom Search